Monday, February 27, 2017

Ten Minute Freewrites #21 - Napkins

Oh boy, a new......

TEN MINUTE FREEWRITE

Last week we saw some stuff from Dyne and Jaden. This week we see Trecheon, Matt, and Neil doing some stupid stuff. WOO.

Let's go for it! 


WRITING START

----------

“Oh good,” Neil said, pointing to a table in the corner. “Our usual table is open.”

I nodded and followed Neil as he weaved his way through the crowd toward our destination. Matt followed behind, glancing nervously at the clientele. I couldn’t blame him for his nervousness. White zyfaunos are fairly rare on Earth, so he stood out like a sore thumb, to use the most cliché saying possible.

“Do we have to sit at the table furthest from the door?” Matt asked.

“Calm yourself,” I told Matt. “We’re fine.”

“Easy for you to say.”

“Trust me,” I said. “We’re fine.”

He eyed me. Trust was something we were still working on. But I grinned at him. He wasn’t going to escape me that easily.

We sat around the table and a waitress took drink orders. The bar was fairly lively tonight. Not something I expected on a random Tuesday, but it was just after the holidays. Maybe these poor saps needed time away from their crazy families.

“So how much is your contact actually going to know?” Matt whispered out of the corner of his mouth. I didn’t look him in the eye, but I had to admit, I was pretty impressed by his discrepancy.

“That’s what we’re here to find out, right?” I said, cheerily.

“We can’t afford to waste time with this, Trech.”

“Don’t call me Trech,” I told him. “Only friends call me that.”

Matt winced. “Ouch.”

“Tell me about it,” Neil said. “I’ve known him over half his life and I don’t even get the pleasure.”

“Shut up, both of you,” I said. “Or you’ll attract too much attention.”

We sat around sipping at our drinks for a couple of minutes still waiting on my contact. I tried to avoid glancing at my watch. It wasn’t like him to be late.

Then I spotted a familiar face in the crowd. Kyoko. The thin second-gen Japanese woman glided through the crowd with the grace of a waitress that had been in the business for too long. She slid between people and made her way to my table. I grinned at her.

But she didn’t grin back, despite meeting my eyes. Instead she walked up to our table, dumped a bunch of napkins on the edge, and walked off. Matt and Neil gave me puzzled looks and I just shrugged.

One of the napkins looked odd. I picked it up and noticed writing on the back.

Get out now, it said in Kyoko’s impeccable handwriting. While you still can.

My eyes widened and I shot my head up, glancing around the room for the source of danger.
Then I found it. The literal danger. The Triple Danger. I shot a glare at Neil, hissed at him, and nodded my head toward the three doe. The three high level assassins.

So much for my contact.

----------

DUN DUN DUNNNNN.

Some of this requires the context of White Assassin and Tanned Hide - Both books can be downloaded FREE off of Amazon or from Zyearth.com. 

Got a suggestion for a story prompt? Comment below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment! I allow anonymous comments, so no annoying sign ups and hoops to jump through. I can't wait to hear from you!