Monday, February 13, 2017

Ten Minute Freewrites #19 - Pretending

Welcome to another............

TEN MINUTE FREEWRITE

Today is yet ANOTHER sequel to last week's freewrite. . . This'll be the last one in this series, for now at least. I love this weird opening so far, so I'm tempted to finish a whole short story with it.

We'll see though, lol. 

Let's get started! 



WRITING START 

----------

(Continuation of last week’s prompt! Part 1 here. Part 2here)

I stood there, blinking, trying to get my bearings.

This was madness. Complete and utter madness. I had gone crazy. I hadn’t just been guided here through telepathy and puppeteering by a nutter with wings on her wrists. I hadn’t just be utterly betrayed by my bat winged boss. I was probably still asleep, dreaming about a worst case scenario of my hit-and-run drive-by shooting job that was coming up tomorrow.

“I’m just going to pretend that didn’t happen,” I announced to the dream people.

The winged lady, Cake as the Hoarder called her, pinched my cheek.

I slapped her hand away. “Ow!”

“You’re not sleeping,” she said. “This isn’t a dream and we aren’t dream people.”

Her words didn’t register.

“Sorry, Pan,” the Hoarder said. “Everyone new gets tested. And it seems you’ve passed better than anyone else.”

“Passed what?” I demanded. “A test of humiliation?”

“A test against Cake’s powers,” the Hoarder said. “She’s got completely out of this world powers that no one can stand up against. Not even me. Once she’s got you in her clutches, you’re in it for the long haul. There’s literally nothing you can do to stop her or break free.”

“Well,” Cake said. “That’s how most people react anyway.”

I glared at her. “And I’m different.”

“You blinked.”

I threw up my hands. “Well whoop-de-do for me! What, that makes me some kind of savant? Some kind of power house? Blinking isn’t exactly heavy lifting.”

“Pan,” Cake said. “I have so much control over people that they can’t even breathe if I don’t let them. And you blinked. You breathed. You swallowed. You thought. You did things that literally no one else can do when I have them under my power. And you are the only one who has ever displayed any kind of control. Ever.”

I frowned, thinking, trying to calm my thoughts. Then I shrugged. “So what?”

“So,” the Hoarder said. “You’re Cake’s partner. The only one that has a hope in hell of standing up to her. Or protecting her.”

I raised an eyebrow at him before poking a thumb at the wrist-winged lady. “She needs protecting?”

“Yes,” Cake said. “Because even my powers aren’t perfect.”

I rolled my eyes. “Right. Next you’re going to tell me that the whole hit taken out by the Head Magician was totally real and he’s after Cake and somehow he’s the only one who has powers able to stand up to her.”

Cake and the Hoarder exchanged glances. Cake looked back at me. “Actually. . .”

Good gravy. What had I gotten myself into? 

----------

This got really crazy. XD I'm seriously tempted to continue this for a short story.

Got a suggestion for a freewrite prompt? Write it below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment! I allow anonymous comments, so no annoying sign ups and hoops to jump through. I can't wait to hear from you!