Saturday, January 2, 2016

A Year in Review, 2015 - Meenanful Life

WOW A BLOG POST

I literally haven't written a blog post since the beginning of the semester. You can't blame me. It's been a really long, harsh semester.

So I've seen several other awesome authors do a full year in review before tackling New Year's Resolutions, and since I've been pretty bad on my new year's resolutions from LAST year, I think looking at what I DID accomplish is a better way to tackle the new year.

2015's Biggest News

I published my first book! Yep, way back in October, I put my first book out into the world for all to see. It's available everywhere. Kobo, Amazon, iTunes, and soon to be on Barnes and Noble. Pretty dang awesome! It's seriously exciting stuff.


So far my book has had pretty good reviews across Amazon and Goodreads, as well as a minor celebrity review by Fred Patten of sci-fi and furry fame. Awesome stuff.

On to other things!

Writing:

Quite honestly, this year's writing has not been the strongest. Let's take a look.

- I released one novel this year, The Stolen Guardian.

- I released one short story this year, White Assassin.

- I have three short stories nearly finished and ready for publication

- I outlined two novels and I'm preparing to outline a third.

- I did some website overhaul, which you can see here. Though the whole thing is still under construction, it's at least starting to look respectable.

- I won an Honorable Mention from Writers of the Future for White Assassin, which is one of the best things that has ever happened to me as an author!

- I wrote several Ten Minute Freewrites, a trend which I hope to continue throughout this year. It's been fun and I missed it!

Wow. Apparently I did a lot more writing than I realized! It's nice to have everything put down on paper, in a matter of speaking.

Art:

Okay, so art has not been very productive this year... and in fact, I even neglected to renew my subscription with DeviantART this year since I'm spending so little time on it these days. I might end up getting rid of the thing completely.

But I did do some things. Let's take a look.

- I completed the artwork for TWO short story covers that Kessie Carroll started for me.

The Black Bound cover still needs some work, but I'm pretty pleased with how Izzy looks on Red Wounds.

- I did a few small pieces for Inktober (which I sadly, did not finish)

This one makes me very happy, because it's a picture I've been wanting to do FOREVER for the Song of the Summer King books. I need to color it and modify it to fit properly, but darn it, it was fun.

Random picture of Izzy smiling. <3

- I started, but didn't finish, a picture of Three Gryfon Moon, a parody piece of art for Jess E. Owen's Song of the Summer King books.

I'll finish it someday. Maybe this week. YAY. In the meantime, K. M. Carroll did a version of it based on my lineart that came out pretty dang nice.

- I made a ridiculous parody art piece of Avengers Assemble which took way more time than it should have, but darn it, it was fun.

- In a surprising move though, I picked up physical painting again and started making art in oils. I have five paintings so far, several of which became gifts. My favorite one is shown below.

Gift for Karen and her awesome bird Tai
That's it for art. I actually did more than I thought, but not as much as I would have liked.

Other Things:

- One big thing I did this year was travel! I visited the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and Connecticut. I also went whale watching, I went to a baseball game, and generally had a lot of fun. It was a great year for fun trips.

- I also got TWO new jobs! I work at three different colleges now, which is a huge amount of work. But it's fun.

- Among my new jobs was a job where I get to actually teach literature! I usually do some kind of minor literature essay in my normal composition classes, but this new class allowed me to teach an entire novel, which was a blast. I enjoyed it immensely and look forward to more opportunities to do that.

And that was pretty much my year! I think this post is long enough, so I'll tackle New Years Resolutions in my next one.

How was your year? I challenge you to do a year in review and post a link in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. You published your first book! That is a big deal! So what if you didn't accomplish your to do list? Big milestone, there!

    Here's mine: https://kmcarrollblog.wordpress.com/2016/01/02/lets-go-2016/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I ended up accomplishing a lot more than I thought I had. That's always a good thing. =D

      I read through yours! I hope hubby is successful in his endeavors. ;)

      Delete

Please post a comment! I allow anonymous comments, so no annoying sign ups and hoops to jump through. I can't wait to hear from you!