Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Years Resolutions 2015 - Meenanful Life

Yay, New Years Resolutions, 2015!

-dusts off the old blog-

Somehow, I don't think I did a good job sticking to that "three blogs a week" resolution from last year. >> Oh well.

Whelp, another year has come and gone, and here we are teetering on the edge of 2015. What a year it's been! I've learned a lot this year and I've changed a lot too. But 2015 is bound to be full of even MORE changes, so now it's time to work out the wonderful world of 2015 Resolutions.

First though, let's see how I did last year... You can check out my poor attempts in greater detail here.

#1 - Finish The Stolen Defender - and start sending query letters.
Finished, but not sending queries... so... halfway done?


#2 - Redesign some key Zyearth characters.
Fail.

#3 - Draw and develop the Eight Summons of the Phonar Order of Draso.
Fail.


#4 - Design and color a promo picture for The Stolen Defender.
Fail.

#5 - Weredriver
Fail... and abandoned.

#6 - Sell more short stories.
Fail.

#7 - Reoutline the second Zyearth novel - Drifter
SUCCESS! This one is going to be modified for this years resolutions.

#8 - The Obligatory Lose Weight Resolution (Again)
Err... fail.

#10 - Read 35 books next year.
I read... -counts- 21. Not bad! Buuut still a fail.

#11 - Write more blogs!
Uhhhhh yeah fail. >> 


 Um. Right. 


Okay then, obviously my problem last year was having so many art related goals. XP 

SO! New goals this year! 

#1 - Plan out my day... and stick to that plan.

That's right. I'm gonna be PLANNING. I'm very much a planner when I outline, so why shouldn't I be a planner when I go about my day? 

Basically I'm gonna tackle it like a check list. Rather than write something like "At 9AM I'll do this..." I'm gonna compile a list of tasks and wants and schedule a certain amount of time to each task. This will allow me to work harder on writing and editing and spend LESS time on time wasters like social media. 

Hopefully it works. I'll keep you all posted.

#2 - Get The Stolen Defender out by spring of this year

This one is actually gonna be a super fun goal.

I've been working on this draft pretty much all year. The main thing keeping me from putting it out there yet is the inner debate I had with myself about HOW I wanted to publish

For a very long time, I wanted to publish traditionally. I felt it would make me "legit." But the more research I did into trad publishing, the more I realized that I liked the control of self publishing. I got to decide my book cover, my editor, my means of publication, my marketing, my market, and pretty much everything else. I LIKE being in control of my own book. So self publishing made sense. I've been spending a lot of time developing my craft and learning all the marketing skills I can to make this dream a reality.

Plus, I have just about the best editor ever. The kind of editor that makes you GIDDY while reading edits. I don't think many people get that.

I also recently did some things in my book's universe that made the WHOLE SERIES better, so I'm on FIRE for writing right now. 

#3 - Finish and publish Book Two - Drifter.

Book two, guys... it's gonna be BIG.

Kessie recently gave me a suggestion for book two - what if I throw Trecheon into the mix? 

Trecheon is easily one of my fav characters, and he's one of the best catalysts for my other character's change. Trecheon is a total outsider and, initially, my main character Matt hates his guts.

Concept art from the now extinct book Target of Eons.
Courtesy of K. M. Carroll

Throwing two characters into a mix like this makes for fun writing and great reading. 

Also, butts on fire.

"Rear Conflagration"
Concept art from the now extinct book Target of Eons.
Courtesy of K. M. Carroll.

  Both the scenes here are from Trecheon's original first book, Target of Eons, which would have been book four instead of book two. He'll still get SOME form of these scenes, but they'll be highly modified.

But hey. Butts on fire. XD The problems of a fire fabricator.

  
#4 - Get a cover for book two as promo art - and pay my cover artist on time.

Sorry about late payments, Omni. XP 

Seriously though, I want some good cover art for book two. Suggestions for what you want to see are appreciated! 

#5 - Keep up with my daily devotions.

This won't be difficult, considering my awesome sister in law got me a brand new devotional. <3

#6 - Read the entire Bible in one year.

Another non-difficult one, since I have a special one year plan. =D YAY!  

#7 - Follow the words God gave me for this year - Light and Strength. 

I still have to learn what God wants me to do with those words... but I'll figure it out and do great things with them. =) 

#8 - The actual, better-do-it, obligatory LOSE WEIGHT resolution. 

This time I'm aiming less for "lose weight" and more for "get healthy" which means I need to be eating better and exercising more. 

#9 - Do more art.

I'm not going to be specific on my art. I need to just DO ART, even if it's small and insignificant art. I need the practice.

And if I'm lucky, I'll be able to take a wonderful life drawing class and really level up my art skills. 

#10 - Read more books.

Again, I'm not going to be specific. I'm going to AIM for at least 20 though. I did it last year, I can do it this year.  

#11 - Do more with my blog and website. 

I really want to aim for more blogs a week. Last year I aimed for three a week, but I found that it was just too much to keep up. I kept running out of ideas. So instead, I'm aiming for two a week. 

Also, I need to do some updating with the website. I wanna add some character profiles and pictures and more fan art.

#12 - Do some promo writing for Zyearth.

In greater detail, I'd like to write some quick short stories that I can put online for free for all to enjoy. =) Ideally, I'd like to have an "intro story" for every novel and eventually I'll put them all in a book.

I really think that's it. Go too far, and I'll fail again like last year! 

What are your new year's resolutions?         

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you failed at those resolutions! I recall you made progress on all of them. Then work started and ate your lunch. Just leave yourself room to rest--this new job will eat your lunch, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ehhh... I made very little progress on all of those and I have no excuse for it. I didn't work all summer! I could have done pretty much ALL of them over that summer if I didn't get so caught up in social media. Really, I got MORE work done when I was working because I feel more PRODUCTIVE when I have a job.

      Thanks for the encouragement though. =)

      Delete

Please post a comment! I allow anonymous comments, so no annoying sign ups and hoops to jump through. I can't wait to hear from you!