Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!



My husbands amazing looking turkey
Honestly, I'd rather spend this post complaining about some teaching and writing related things that are bothering me... but that's not the way to go about things. I need to be positive. So, instead, to keep my mind off the things I'm frustrated with with teaching and writing, I'm going to mention all the things I'm thankful for with teaching and writing.

 1 - I'm thankful that I teach at CBU

I know I won't be working at CBU forever, and I know that CBU isn't the only school I'll ever work at, but I absolutely love it right now. I love being able to integrate faith into my teaching. I love that we don't deal with office politics. I love that all the teachers' MAIN GOAL is to help the students succeed. I love my coworkers and my students. I love how much freedom I have in my teaching.

It's an amazing place to be.

2 - I'm thankful for my students.

Yes, sometimes they annoy me, but my students are seriously the best in the world. They put up with my colds and my disorganized teaching. They put up with my weirdness. They generally work hard and they love to talk to me about their successes.

3 - I'm thankful for Blackboard.

We don't thank our teaching tools enough. I know a few teachers hate Blackboard, but I LOVE it. I love how easy it is to upload. I love that I can have students upload assignments online and I can grade each of them ONLINE without having to download or print the assignment. We save paper, time, and for me, weight (Carrying assignments is hard!).

They keep my grades in order too, and it makes it easy to keep track of grades. Blackboard, you're awesome.

And now, writing.

1 - I'm thankful for MSWord.

My writer friends are probably going -GASP- you like WORD?!?

Yes. I like Word. 

I know there's a lot of people out there that praise writing programs like Scrivner (blah) or Open Office (also blah) but I like Word. It's familiar. It's easy to use. And guess what? You CAN easily make an ebook out of Word documents. There's free tutorials all over the internet to show you how.

Say what you want about other programs, but I love Word. =D

2 - I'm thankful for my amazing cover artist and fantastic editor.

Omni being a weirdo
Seriously, my cover artist is amazing. I mean, LOOK at that cover! I could never have done anything like that myself. The best part is that logo. Awesome.

I also love WHO my cover artist is. Omni helped me write the original story and create several of the original characters. Who better to have for my cover artist.

And of course, I can't forget my awesome editor.

I didn't post a picture, because I'm not sure how Mark would feel about it, but he's done so many amazing things with my story. I've done previews with several editors before and most of them made me feel somewhat uncomfortable (not the people - you guys are awesome. But the edits didn't sit well with me).

Mark's edits, however, are completely fantastic. I get GIDDY reading his suggestions and my creative wheels turn better and faster after looking at his work. My novel is going to be AMAZING because of all the stuff he's doing for me. You're awesome, Mark. =D

3 - I'm thankful for my community.

Image courtesy of Crazy Mandi from WANA Commons

I have two major writing communities I'm a part of. #MyWana, and Iron Sharpening Iron. We're strong groups and we do a great job of lifting each other up. We exchange book for beta reading. We share each others novels. We INVEST in each other. It's awesome.

I also have amazing friends in the writing world, including Kessie Carroll, Andrea Fingerson, and Jess E. Owen. Not to mention those on Facebook and Twitter who have been great supporters and friends as I work on writing.

So that's what I'm thankful for. Of course there's others, like my family, friends, kitties, and of course God, that kind of thing, but I think I needed something specific today. =)

What are you thankful for? =)

1 comment:

  1. What's lovely thankful post! And that last pic with Joe and the kitties is all kinds of adorable. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Please post a comment! I allow anonymous comments, so no annoying sign ups and hoops to jump through. I can't wait to hear from you!