Sunday, November 2, 2014

NaNoWriMo 2014 - Author Life

Since it's NaNoWriMo this month, and since I've chosen to actually DO it again this year, I thought I'd share some of my past year's stats for NaNo.

I'm a Five Time NaNoWriMo participant and a four time winner. There have been a few times when I've signed up for a novel (and two attempts with my master's thesis) but I never actually wrote anything, so I didn't bother counting those.

My first attempt was in November of 2010. I didn't quite make it, but I got close! I'm finishing up the "final touches" of that NaNo novel now and hope to publish it soon. =D

And here's some stats from my previous years!

As you can see, MOST years I'm fairly consistent, but sometimes I will fall off for a few days and have to really marathon things to get back up again.

The first year I fell off because that was the year my Uncle Rick died... We spent a lot of time with my Aunt Debbie around that time and I just didn't feel the desire to write so much anymore.

But the following summer I finished the first draft of The Stolen Defender, then called The Island, and have spent the last three years perfecting the novel and my craft. It's amazing what having a first draft can do!

As for the other four, THREE of them will need full rewrites. I wasn't a big outliner back then, so I didn't have a clear direction for ANY of those books. Silver Guardian is especially bad and Drifter, then called The Second Island, hardly touched on the plot in all 50,000 words.

Target of Eons, however, has a much clearer plotline. It will need a LOT of rewriting, but it has enough good stuff that it's not a total loss.

I will hopefully be in the right place in my life to retackle Summoned in next year's Camp NaNoWriMo,but in the meantime... it's tackling Drifter.

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment! I allow anonymous comments, so no annoying sign ups and hoops to jump through. I can't wait to hear from you!