Thursday, September 4, 2014

Throwback Thursday: The Start of a Beautiful Friendship - Author Life

Hey everyone!

As I mentioned in my last blog, I'm currently gutting my old blog and trying to delete old blogs that are useless and stupid.

Not all of them are as such though. Sometimes you get one that's a huge, wonderful reminder of something good in your past.

Today I found one of those. The start of my critiquing relationship with one of my best friends, Kessie Carroll.

So I'm gonna rely on an old meme here today and do a Throwback Thursday and share an important part of the post that started it all. Here goes!

____________________________________

Artistic Journeys
4/5/12
9:15 AM

When we last left our heroine, she was very slowly editing her novel and she had very little will to continue.

And then, a miracle. (angels singing)

Okay, not a miracle, but certainly one of the best things that could have happened to me. A good friend stepped in and offered to help edit.

I had seven other people who were editing my novel. Two of them no longer speak to me, one of them is in freakin' TAIWAN and is very busy, another just hasn't read much, and the other two know too much about Zyearth to really want to change much. So far, I was my worst editor, and even then, I was really only editing at the sentence level. Nothing really significant, and nothing that really made the novel better to READ. Not really.

Enter Netraptor.

She ripped my novel to pieces. Her FIRST SUGGESTION was to completely eliminate the first eleven pages or so of my novel.

Ouch.

But I took her suggestions. The whole of this novel is being rearranged, cut, repasted, rebuilt, and certainly, strengthened.

She's been helping me with the novel in 30 page increments and in return I'm editing her novel similarly. It's an awesome system and everybody wins. I'm beginning to love my novel in a whole new way like I never have before. It's also helping me work through some of my worst novel writing habits, which will help in writing future novels.

As time has gone on, I've also seen that it's helped me edit EVERYTHING, including my essay writing. Amazing.

So, slowly, I am remaking this first novel into something people might actually want to read.

____________________________________

And thus started a beautiful friendship. Kessie and I have been editing partners ever since and she's done some amazing things to help me improve my writing, my marketing ideas, my feelings about self publishing, and really, my whole thinking process with writing. It felt like my whole world opened up.

Ironically, that eleven pages turned into something far more than just eleven pages. I ended up rewriting the whole thing from scratch. But that's part of growing as a writer. And the novel is better because of it.

If you guys like urban fantasy about friendship, self sacrifice, love, and saving the world, go pick up the first Spacetime book Storm Chase from Amazon today. It's only 99 cents and it's an amazing book!

2 comments:

  1. Well, at least you don't hate me! That's always good, right? :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha right! LOL. Honestly, I've never hated people for their comments. Sometimes I dislike the comments and there have been times when I've been upset by the comments people make, but nine times out of ten, if they make me upset, that probably means they have some clout. o_0

      Delete

Please post a comment! I allow anonymous comments, so no annoying sign ups and hoops to jump through. I can't wait to hear from you!