Friday, August 22, 2014

Why Do You Write? - Author Life

Today a friend asked me -

Why do you write?




Honestly, I've never had a harder question to answer.

Why DO I write?

So I tried asking myself questions.

Do I want to be famous? - Eh... no. I see the problems with famous people. It'd be fun to have my NOVELS be famous, but I'm certainly not holding my breath. XD

Do I want to make money? - Who doesn't? But this isn't a driving force. I'm not going to quit writing if I don't make a lot of money.

Do I want to entertain? - Yes, but again, it's not a driving force. I will continue to write even if no one likes my writing.

Do I have a message to share? - I guess? See next week's post, but it's not really my main goal as a writer.

So then... if none of those are why I write, then why DO I write?

I started thinking about things in negatives. What would make me STOP writing?

And I thought, and pondered, and thought, and pondered... and I couldn't come up with anything. There's nothing that would stop me writing. I need to write like I need to breathe.

So there's my answer. I write because it's a necessity. It's as important to me as shelter, food, and water. It's just as important for my heart to beat as it is for me to write. End of story.

So... Why do you guys write?

1 comment:

  1. I write because I lov the stories I'm telling. :-)

    Interesting to analyze your motives, though!

    ReplyDelete

Please post a comment! I allow anonymous comments, so no annoying sign ups and hoops to jump through. I can't wait to hear from you!