Monday, August 25, 2014

What Is Your Message? - Author Life

Today in the creative writing club I help run, we were asked,

As a writer, what message do you want to share with the world?



That’s a hard question. I never really wrote with a “message” in mind. I intended to have themes – love, loyalty, passion, self-sacrifice, forgiveness, faith. But I never really thought about my message.

So I actually sat down and thought about it. What’s the most common and important issue addressed in my story?

I came up with this.

“You don’t get to choose your family. Therefore, love them as much as you can.”

Family is a huge theme in my stories.

The major antagonist, Ouranos, is being controlled by his father, Theron. Ouranos is desperately trying to protect his sister, Natassa, from Theron.

The major protagonist, Matt, is risking his life to protect Charlotte, his sister, and Izzy, who he was raised with and is like a sister to him.

Both Izzy and Matt are Guardians because their parents were Guardians.

Family, family, family. It’s key to the stories.

But you don’t get to choose your family. I often write families who are broken or at odds with each other. Ouranos hates his father, but also loves him, so he struggles to convince himself to fight against his father. Charlotte loves her brother, but she distances herself from him because she hates the fact that he’s a Defender. Matt loves that he’s Guardian like his dad, but he hates the traps his father and grandfather fell into as Guardians.

So yeah, you don’t get to choose your family. You don’t get to decide what they do with their lives or what the consequences of their actions are. But you can consciously decide to love them, regardless of their problems. You may have to separate yourself from that family, you may have to push them out of your life, but you can still consciously love them.

This is what my stories talk about. Loving your family, regardless of the situation.

For me, personally, my family is very important to me. I’ll sometimes even ditch time with friends to spend time with family. I love spending time with my family, whether it’s immediate family or extended family.

So themes of the importance of family comes out in my writing, whether I intend it or not.


A friend of mine, Andrea, read my novel and also said that a major theme that comes out is the stewardship of family. It’s important to steward your family. It’s important to take responsibility for your family. Proper stewardship and responsibility is necessary with family. 

So, as an author, what message are you trying to share with the world? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment! I allow anonymous comments, so no annoying sign ups and hoops to jump through. I can't wait to hear from you!