Sunday, June 29, 2014

Writing Meme - Author Life

Hey everyone! Today we're doing a Writing Meme! We'll be exploring some questions about the life of an author. I did this meme a long time ago on an old blog, but I figured it'd be fun to try it on the new blog.

This is a tagging meme, so at the end, I'll tag some lovely authors out there so we can get some more awesome answers.

Let's get started!

1) What is the title of your next book/work?

In the interest of the book that is NOT yet out, we'll be working on that one. The current title of my book is The Stolen Defender. It's the first book in the Zyearth Chronicles series.



Currently in the series, I have 27 novels and 6 short story collections planned. =D Quite a lot of work to do! We'll see if I actually keep all 27 (the later book summaries get a bit hazy) but for now, that's where I have it. 

2) Where did the idea come from for the book/work?

Honestly, Sonic the Hedgehog! The books originally started out as Sonic the Hedgehog fan fiction. But it was really weak fan fiction. I didn't usually have Sonic in the stories. I just used a few basic elements from the world.

You can learn more about the characters histories as Sonic characters by looking at the Character Creation section of the blog.

3) What genre does your book/work fall under?

It took me a long time to figure out these genres. There's a few actually.

First and foremost, The Stolen Defender is a little between Young Adult and New Adult. Young Adult fiction usually centers around teenage main characters and often have happy endings. New Adult is usually for older characters, which mine are, but New Adult is well known for usually having sex in their books. Since I avoid sex in my writing, I'm not sure how well I fit into New Adult. So I'm kind of a mix.

Second of all, the book is urban fantasy, set in a futuristic world but characters use magic. Think Harry Potter.

And third, the book is anthropomorphic, as all the main characters are anthropomorphic animals.

I suppose since they all started out as Sonic characters, it's fitting that they're now fully anthro animals.

The book also fits into little categories too. It's definitely adventure. It also has a little mix of sci fi, since there are other planets and space travel. Finally, there's also a mix of military fiction, since the Defenders are a military group. 

4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?

I've been working on the Zyearth world for so long, that I put together a list of actors ages ago. After all, what author doesn't dream of having her books on the silver screen some day?

Since my characters are anthropomorphic animals, and I'd likely have to have the movies in CGI, I'm mainly looking for voice and motion capture skills here. Let's take a look! 

Matt would be played by Matt Austin of Power Ranger fame:

I've met Matt Austin in person several times and not only is he a fantastic person, he has the exact personality and voice I'm looking for for Matt. A perfect mix of hilarity and seriousness.

A lot of people tell me that if Matt was a human, he'd probably look like Matt Austin, so bonus points there. 
Rose McIver would play Izzy. I picked her mainly because of a line in (yes, again) a Power Ranger's episode.

"Can you guys do that again? I think I still have some hearing left in one ear." 

It sound exactly like something Izzy would say to Matt and a future friend of his while they were in an "I'm manlier than you" contest.

(I'll refrain from mentioning said friend's name to avoid spoilers. XD)

Other voice actors include Tom Hiddleston as Darvin and Keith David as Ouranos. Other characters are harder to find though. 

5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

An invader from another planet comes to Zyearth, steals a Golden Guardian, and creates invincible monsters out of the inhabitants while the Defenders fight to save their home and their Golden Guardian. 

6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I intend to self publish, but I intend to do it the right way. Hire and editor, hire a cover artist, and create and host a website and market, and do all the things a publisher would do for me anyway.

And hey, I got one part down:



7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?

Geez, the very first draft? That's hard. The first draft was role played with my friend Omni over the course of several months. It's a horrid draft that's not worth looking at anymore.

This current remake of the novel started three years ago. The draft I have now took about four months to finish. 

8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Since I have anthro books, I'd have to say Redwall, but there's really not a lot I can compare this to. Which is both good and bad. Good because I'm pretty original, but bad because it'll be hard to attract a brand new audience. 

9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?

To understand that, you have to go way back to the creation of the original character, Izzy.

I originally created Izzy to show up my friends. (Find out more here) I also created Zyearth and the stories around it to show up my friends. But in doing so, I also found out I really loved writing.

As the years went by and I grew up, I realized that the world I had created was so large that I could take it out of the fan fiction world and make it its own world. So that's what I started doing.

I wouldn't say I particularly inspired by anything in deciding to do that. I just really wanted to. 

10) What else about the book might pique the reader’s interest?

 - Epic world building
 - Interesting, likable characters
 - Magic
 - Time and Space travel
 - A mad man with a blue box companions.
 - Amazing battles
 - High stakes
 - Mystery
 - And even a little bit of romance

TAGGING TIME. I tag....

Michelle Scott and Kessie Carroll and Jess Owen and everyone on the Iron Sharpening Iron group. XD Good luck, guys! Have fun!  

3 comments:

  1. Very cool, Rachel! I've only seen anthros in comics, not in novel form. Love your cover art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks! Yeah, anthro novels aren't very common, and most of them are self published and not professionally edited, so it's hard to find anthro novels that are well written.

      The cover art was done by a professional artist friend of mine. He's absolutely amazing. XD

      Delete
  2. Here's mine! http://netraptor.org/blog/2014/03/writing-blather-blog-hop/

    I like your answers! They're a lot of fun. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Please post a comment! I allow anonymous comments, so no annoying sign ups and hoops to jump through. I can't wait to hear from you!