Monday, June 2, 2014

My Writing Process - Author Life

Hello everyone!

Fellow author Annie Douglass Lima has invited me to take part in a blog hop of sorts, so here we are! Annie is a YA fantasy writer and world traveler. She and her husband currently live in Taichung, Taiwan, where she teaches 5th grade in an international school. Find out more on her website: http://anniedouglasslima.blogspot.com

And now, on to the questions!

1)     What am I working on?

Currently I'm editing the latest draft of my first book, The Stolen Defender, but I'm also working on the second book in my series, called Drifter. The first book changed a lot with this recent draft, so the second book also has a lot of changing to do.

2)     How does my work differ from others of its genre?  

Well for one, my book doesn't fit into just one genre. It's almost a genre in itself. It's got elements of science fiction, fantasy, military, and adventure books. It's aimed at YA readers. The main characters though, are anthropomorphic animals, so it fits into the "furry" or "anthro" world too.

3)     Why do I write what I do?

Ha ha, that's a very good question. It's not marketable, it's not mainstream, and it's not likely to make me any money or even any fans. But ever since Matt and Izzy entered my life, they've refused to let me go without telling their stories. So, here I am! I love it a lot, if anything. Writing is more fun than anything, and writing these characters is a total blast.

4)     How does my writing process work?

My writing process is... strange, if you count the WHOLE process. My characters originally started out as fan characters, meaning they were heavily based off a world completely not my own. Their stories originally started as "seat-of-my-pants" role play writing. My role play partner and I just let the world do whatever the heck it wanted and we ran with it. Pretty much all my stories have started out this way.

When I decided that I wanted to change my characters from fan characters to original characters, I spent a long time outlining and rewriting a brand new, fan character free draft. The first five novels in the series started off as loosely outlined NaNoWriMo novels.

After the first draft, I always send the novel out to beta readers. Really, anyone who is interested has a chance to read the book. Once I get beta reader info back, I apply it to a new draft, then send it to a professional editor.

The Stolen Defender needed a LOT of work in the early stages. It's so far gone through eleven drafts and five completely rewrites. Rewriting is the hardest part of the writing process. If I need a rewrite, I'll often ignore the old drafts and just keep the main themes because the old drafts tend to bog me down.

And that's my writing process! What does your writing process look like?

And I Tag.....

Michele Scott: https://www.facebook.com/thesilverdolphinssaga an author of amazing YA fantasy with a mix of anthropomorphic animals. Here's her DA Page: http://gneiss-chert.deviantart.com/ And her blog: http://thesilverdolphinssaga.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. These are great questions! Thank you for the tag!
    Yes its all for the fun!
    I had no idea you had rewritten your story so many times!
    I'll start working on my answers. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the post! Make sure you link back to my post and/or facebook page when you post yours and see if you can find other fellow authors who want to join you! =)

      Delete
    2. I shall do that. I have one in mind! =)

      Delete

Please post a comment! I allow anonymous comments, so no annoying sign ups and hoops to jump through. I can't wait to hear from you!